Friday, March 30, 2012

I've reached the point where I know I'm turning into my mother

Commonly known fact among family and family friends: my mother makes extremely goofy faces when she's being silly/funny.

I was in the kitchen juggling (and I use that term loosely) my coffeemate creamers and all of a sudden I felt the contorted discomfort in my face. Immediately I saw a flash of my mother making her "goofy" face and I shook my head at the fact that I was indeed making that face.

As the days go by, I realize just how much of my persona I'm still acquiring from my mother. Now, instead of mimicking my mothers voice when I'm saying something she previously said to me, I just say it like her naturally when I'm voicing my own day breakdown. Honestly I shouldn't be surprised since Mom and I have been confusing callers with our similar voices since I hit high school. Her cellphone voicemail message was me up until a year ago. Now, though, my pronunciations and intonations are also just like my mothers.

I have acquired a few bad habits of my mother's as well - even when I'm just slightly annoyed, I get "a tone." In my house "a tone" means I'm getting to that annoying/bitchy pitch where I constantly sound like a NJ housewife. Yes, mom, you do that too.

Thank God I have the mellowness of my father.

No comments:

Post a Comment